Tuesday, April 19, 2011

All Candidate's Meeting

Last night at the Owen Sound Public Library an All-Candidates meeting was held- except one candidate did NOT show up even though multiple dates were given just after the election was called.

It seems Larry Miller was busy with other things and could not make the time to talk about the issues important to a wide range of social organizations who organized the event.

Entirely disappointing and a true look at how unimportant these issues are to the 'Harper Government'. I personally want a Member of Parliament who is working for the people who live in Grey-Bruce-Owen Sound and not for the corporations who despite ridiculously low tax rates keep pulling jobs from the area.

SO the meeting last night really highlighted something for me. I think it was Emma who said it but it could have come from Kimberly or Karen as well because they all demonstrated it. The thought is why can we not cooperate to make the changes that will make our community better? The candidates differed on some issues but often you would hear, ditto, as an answer. It seems that 3/4 of the people running for MP agree on a good 75% of how to get it done.

Why then do polls say that the one person who did not show up has 51% of the vote according to a recent poll?

What do we do?

As one candidate advised - go out and talk to your neighbors, your friends, your co-workers - hell even strangers. Talk about the issues, and get the spin and rhetoric out of the way. How can we make Grey-Bruce-Owen Sound better for all of us. How do we revitalize and clean up? How do  we cooperate and work together so me make sure that ALL of us have the essentials of life and are safe and happy? 

This is a fabulous community and I have been blessed in the two years since I moved here. How can I make it better? I try to incorporate my suggested 10 things into my life and do what I can. I listened to the candidates last night and wondered who would work for this community. Not for their party, not as a politico, but as a person who wants to make our home a better place. I am still distilling last nights meeting, but by his absence I am left to wonder what our incumbents stand on these issues are.

Did you go to last night? What are your impressions? If not, why?

1 comment:

  1. As you recall, I was there--and as you recall, I left perplexed.

    Well, I'm no less perplexed (it's my default state!), but I've at least made a decision. I've racked my brains over last night's debate, discussed it with several people, and have come to the conclusion that under the circumstances, I shall vote for the *individual* who is most capable of, and best qualified to, represent my interests as a community member in Parliament.

    This has meant shelving my sympathies and leanings for more practical considerations. It's not a violation of principles because I am non-partisan, and find that none of the parties are a perfect fit for my views. Still, I am disappointed overall that I have to select from the least of 4 evils rather than the greatest of 4 goods!

    ReplyDelete